Rosslare Golf – A Rich and Distinguished Heritage
Rosslare Golf Course 1930 – Looking towards the 16th hole
Opened in 1905, the vista that greets the golfer on the Rosslare golf links has a capacity to enthral the onlooker. Generations of visitors have witnessed the sea in all its moods. From the golf course, looking northwards, one can observe the seas building up on the Dogger Bank at the entrance to Wexford Harbour.
In foul weather the golfer will see, in an easterly direction, the waves breaking on the huge sandbank known as The Long Bank, and a little south of it, Holdenâ€™s Bed. Further south stands The Tuskar Lighthouse, built in 1815,Â to warn the unwary mariner of the perils of this treacherous coastline. Today the regular comings and goings of the huge car ferries and container ships at Rosslare Harbour present an interesting source of diversion. The pier at Rosslare Harbour is clearly visible.
Famous for its flora and a fauna those with an interest in wildlife will find this Rosslare golf course an enchanting place. Situated within view of Rosslare’s famous bird paradise, the North Sloblands, many of the rare species of birds that visit this protected area are also to be seen on the golf course.
Apart from the 18 hole championship links golf course measuring 6,800 yards there is also a 12 hole layout known as the Burrow Course that opened in 1992.Â Both golf courses are available to non-members for a modest green fee.